The real estate website Redfin published an article this weekend entitled “Going From Renting to Buying a Home: 5 Things to Know. Now, this is truly a tricky topic to begin with considering first time homebuyers have represented less than 28% of all home sales eight straight months and homeownership percentage is at its lowest level in 20 years. I believe the words used in this article required very careful facts…..and I also believe Redfin failed in its presentation. Let’s discuss the 5 things. The underlined portion is actual verbiage used in the article.
1) Get Your Credit in Check- Make sure you have a credit score banks want to give you a mortgage. We all understand the need for credit however we also understand landlord’s and apartment complexes can be just as credit stingy as a lender. Very few consumers with 580 credit scores are renting either.
2) Budget, Then Shop- Don’t find the home then sort your mortgage around it and a good real estate agent will only show you homes in that budgeted price range. I do agree with the idea that every consumer should start the process with good financial advice attaching your payment goal, down payment, which then leads to a sales price. I simply believe adding the verbiage “you can’t trust all Realtors” was overboard.
3) Take the Inspection Seriously- Its up to you and the home inspector to spot everything from mold to leaks before you buy the home. We all know the inspectors job is to find everything wrong with the home. Things are going to go wrong however the advice located in this paragraph was “You are now responsible for anything that goes wrong”.
4) Factor in the Extra Cost- Remember that even your fixed-rate mortgage has increases to property taxes and homeowners insurance that will raise your housing payment. Rents have increased 8.9% year-over-year for five straight years. Everything has pressured inflationary cost however this is not mentioned as a “balance” when comparing renting to homeownership.
5) Repairs are Your Responsibility- After everything is signed and you’re standing outside of your home it will hit you: Anything that goes wrong in that home is up to you to fix it. No more calling the maintenance guy to fix it.
If I were a renter entertaining the idea of homeownership, and came across this article (written by a real estate firm have you), it would have scared the crap out of me. Through this entire article there was no mention of established home equity, increased tax refunds to help offset homeownership costs, and the job of knowing every aspect of that home is yours and you no longer look at the kitchen and say “that’s my landlords sink”. Nor the mention of rent payments increasing too.
Author:Lars Lofstrand Phone: 972-672-8069 Dated: June 13th 2014 Views: 1,028 About Lars: We understand that buying or selling a home is probably the largest investment decision that you wil...
We understand that for many people, buying or selling a home is probably the largest investment decision that they will make in their lifetime. Halo Group Realty LLC thus became active in selling Real Estate in 2008 and was setup to make this process a simple and painless transaction. Your dedicated agent will guide you every step of the way to make purchasing or selling your home enjoyable and exciting… as it should be!
Today, Halo Group Realty LLC is at the cutting edge of technology in offering assistance to those in need of real estate services, and we have revolutionized the method of delivering education to consumers. Halo is established as the place for consumers to get the knowledge and assistance they deserve in the process of facilitating the Real Estate transaction, positioning you in the best possible situation to get the best price when you either to buy or sell. With leadership, innovation and forward thinking, Halo Group Realty, LLC is poised to make a huge impression in the real estate market while providing clients the keys to home ownership.
Our goal is to help make your dream a reality and take away all of the stress that goes along with purchasing or selling your home. Whether you are purchasing new construction, an existing home, or just an open space for future enjoyment, representation by a Halo agent is a valuable tool in making your dream become a reality.
Listed here are 184 typical actions, research steps, procedures, proce
"Lynell Jones, you made us really feel good about our experience throughout the process. Your knowledge, questions to/for builders, lenders, etc. and going to bat for us is par none. We are grateful we found you! "